Sunday, January 18, 2009

Skimming around Web 2.0

One of the main reasons why I love the Internet is that it is text-based.

TV news and information shows have always felt too slow to me. Can you skim a video for the info you want or need and ignore the rest? Nope.

I avoid information-based videos on the Internet for the same reason. I’d rather read a transcript of a news or information video any day than take the time to watch it. And I would always prefer a succinct and well written news item over the transcript.

With the increasing proliferation of online news sources, blogs and social-media exchanges, the ability to write well is again becoming a distinguishing feature that allows the best to rise to the top. As a reader, not to mention as a writer/editor with 30 years of experience, I find that situation very appealing.

No comments: